If you think that selling a product on Amazon is in your near (or far!) future, then you’re likely to have started preparations already. You may have read articles, watched videos, and asked questions in forums but, like many things in life, there’s very little you can do that actually trumps experience! If you’re ready to jump in, so am I – let’s take a look at how you can become a successful Amazon seller! You can also check out our recently published review of Amazing Selling Machine which is a fully developed training course covering all the steps you need to take to get started with Amazon.
There is a new training course just launching about how to get started with eCommerce drop shipping and Amazon. The name of the training course is eCom Success Academy and was created by Adrian Morrison. The course just became the Shopify official training course and will reopen on May 21 and will be only open for 14 days. You can check the review of eCom Success Academy 2019 here.
Setting up Your FBA Account
Sure, not the most exciting part of your journey, but a very necessary one. Setting up an Amazon seller account isn’t as difficult as it first seems. There are a lot of fields to fill out and you’ll need all your information to hand, but if you gather it all up before you start (especially your bank details and tax information, which you might not know by heart) you’re halfway there.
Once you’ve added in all the details, you’ll need to verify your account, and you can expect Amazon to ring you during this process. Once that’s done, you’re (almost!) ready to start selling!
Find a Best Selling Product
Talk to anyone who has had success on Amazon FBA and they’ll tell you the same thing – finding the perfect product to sell is an art form. If you don’t already know what you’re going to sell, you’re going to have to do some research. Obviously, the Golden Fleece here, in terms of the perfect product, is something that people really want, but not many people are selling.
There are oodles of tools and resources to make finding a product very easy. There are browser extensions that you can plug in to get forecasts while you’re browsing, entire ebooks devoted to the process, huge numbers of videos on YouTube, and articles galore. While it’s really important to do your research, it’s also important to keep things under control. Try not to stress yourself out finding the perfect product, or overstretch yourself by keeping too many “possibles” on the shortlist.
Watch the video below to see how Jungle Scout Works and how you can do proper product research with this tool:
Find Someone to Make Your Perfect Product
Now that you’ve made the all-important decision, you’ve got another round of research and investigation ahead of you. It’s time to find someone to make or supply this product and ship it to Amazon so that they can then ship it to your eager beaver customers.
Lots of people find this part of the process the most stressful, and we can understand why. You need to find a company that will not only make your product but make it to your specifications, a company that you’re able to communicate well with, and a company that actually delivers on your agreements. The only way to do this is to SHOP AROUND. Send out emails, get quotes, contact multiple suppliers, and keep your options open. Remember that cheaper is not necessarily better and if you don’t like the samples you’re getting, keep searching.
Get the buyers flooding in
Once you’ve gotten this far – congratulations! You’ve overcome the worst of the set-up troubles and can now focus on making your product the most popular around. To do this, you’re going to need to become a top-class marketer, so either get studying or hope you have a secret salesman inside you!
Luckily for you, there is no shortage of resources for learning more about online product marketing. If you need some help knowing where to focus, try:
- Your product descriptions can make or break the sale. Ensure you’re incorporating the most recent research in terms of on-page SEO, sales psychology, and the effectiveness of your customer journey to ensure that once people get to your page, they actually stick around to buy.
- Image photography is what can make your page stick out head and shoulders above the competition. Get practicing now and bring your skills up to speed, or ask around to find a great photographer. Taking photos of products, unlike photos of your cat, is quite an art form, so think long and hard to decide if your skills are up to scratch. If not, there are many, many photographers specialized in both product and Amazon photography, and they’d be happy to help.
- Learn the basics of SEO, keyword reseach, and paid search. If you really want to get ahead online, you’re going to need to be at least half-way proficient in the related – but distinct – aspects of getting your products to appear when people search online. It’s a steep learning curve, but really worthwhile, and we recommend becoming at least averagely familiar with the topic.
Make customer service a priority
There’s a lot you can do to directly influence your success on Amazon, but one thing your customers have to do for you is give great feedback and testimonials. Amazon FBA deals with customer support, for which you can breathe a huge sigh of relief, but that doesn’t mean there’s nothing you can do. In fact, since Amazon is taking care of the heavy lifting for you, any way you do interact with your clients is what you can class as “above and beyond”, making the experience extra-special for your customers.
Need ideas? Think about letting people know what stage their order is at, follow up with them after they’ve received it, thank them for their purchase, and be open to interaction on social media. There’s no need to hassle them, just be nice and be available!
Have the right attitude
Lots of people have decided to sell via Amazon FBA, and many have failed. That’s not to be a downer, it’s just to remind you that your attitude will go a long way to your success. Keep the right mindset and you can make sure your experience is as fulfilling and positive as possible.
- Consistency is key – think of a business like a garden that needs constant maintenance to look great. Just because your shop is online doesn’t mean you can sit back and relax
- Expect the worst – but don’t let it derail you! There will be disasters, misunderstandings, and failures, but don’t let them get the better of you. Keep the positive outlook and consistency, and you’ll quickly get back on track
- Keep learning. Having an Amazon business will teach you so much, but even still, there will be new opportunities to learn crop up all the time. Keep your mind open and let the new knowledge in so you don’t lose your edge
- Finally, give credit where credit’s due – you’ve put a lot of effort into your Amazon business and hopefully, you’ll be seeing a positive result. Congratulations – that’s all you! Learn to take short breaks and treat yourself for victories to keep them tasting sweet
I hope this article has given you a few ideas and places to focus when it comes to setting up and Amazon store and succeeding as an Amazon FBA seller. For some people, it can be a truly profitable endeavour, and all that stands between you and success is hard work and the right attitude. Think you can do it? Great, go get ‘em!
GFK Amazon Consulting
For decades, clients have turned to GfK Amazon Consulting to understand, and action, the changing consumer landscape, both in the US and globally…
- How does the current political & economic situation impact Amazon consumers?
- What risks & opportunities may this present?
- What new product opportunities are presented by shifting lifestyles, both here in the US and across the globe?
- What does increased media fragmentation and consumer generated media mean for my advertising and communication messages inside Amazon and other eCommerce platforms like Shopify and Oberlo?
- Where does my category fit into people’s lives?
You can access unparalleled knowledge of consumers trends by working with GfK Roper Consulting in a number of ways:
- Subscriptions to our syndicated services, including access to a stream of deliverables and our consumer trends consultants Ad Hoc assignments
- Licensing of our proprietary tools RFP Assistance (e.g., Incidence Levels)
GfK Amazon Reports Worldwide
GfK Amazon Reports® Worldwide provides in-depth insight beyond demographics to the lifestyles, values, attitudes and buying behavior of consumers in more than 30 developed and developing countries around the world. A good resource of where to start would be this review right here.
Our unique face-to-face methodology is the most comprehensive of its kind and is representative of roughly 90% of the world’s GDP. You can read more about in our review and analysis section.
GfK eCommerce and Shopify Report
Clients have been turning to the GfK eCommerce and Shopify Report since 1990 to understand the key questions within the eCommerce market in the United States.
GfK Affiliate Marketing Report
The GfK Affiliate Marketing Report is the only nationwide, long-term syndicated study of consumer attitudes and behaviors towards the affiliate marketing section.
The affiliate marketing report gives you an exclusive look at how America’s concern for affiliate marketing issues can affect your organization. This comprehensive report provides insight into consumers’ attitudes and buying behavior, allowing you to strategically plan and execute your affiliate marketing campaign.
GfK Trending Tools and Programs
The longest-running global consumer trends tracking service of its kind, GfK has been monitoring global consumer trends via different tools and softwares since 1997. Through a suite of innovative and inter-linked products and services, GfK can help you gain insight into key consumer trends, assess the likely impacts of those trends on your business and then apply these learnings to your decision-making process either for your eCommerce, Amazon or affiliate business.
Gfk Roper Product Launch Formula
Gfk has lately reviewed one of the best selling courses by Jeff Walker called Product Launch Formula. This course is all about creating and launching your own digital product and start selling it online. You can read the whole review of Product Launch Formula here.
Gfk Roper Amazing Selling Machine
The team behind GFKamerica has received lots of questions and exciting results from students who have joined the Amazing Selling Machine course by Matt Clark. Based on the whole buzz this course made last year we have deceided to give this course a try and review their training and tools. Here is the full review
GFK Roper Viddyoze 3.0
GFKamerica just recently uncovered the Viddyoze video creation tool in their monthly review section. This video creation tool works best for online marketers who need a simple yet fast working program to design adds for the marketing campaigns. You can check out the whole review here
GFK Roper Salehoo
Salehoo is one of the most popular platforms beside Alibaba and Aliexpress when it comes to searching for product suppliers. Salehoo’s suppliers are specialized on dropshipping and are able to process new orders in short time. You can read the GFK review and insights in our recent publication.
- 1 Setting up Your FBA Account
- 2 Find a Best Selling Product
- 3 Find Someone to Make Your Perfect Product
- 4 Get the buyers flooding in
- 5 Make customer service a priority