”Foreign Relations” Top Concern Among The Influential Americans®

Rising Healthcare Costs and Terrorism Also Creating Apprehension

New York, May 5, 2005—According to new data from GfK NOP (formerly NOP World)'s Roper Public Affairs, foreign relations ranks as the number one concern among The Influential Americans®—the 10% of the population who drive what the other 90% think, do and buy.

More than half (52%) of The Influential Americans® say they are "personally concerned" about United States foreign relations, hitting an all time high, up from 45% in 2004, 40% in 2003 and 28% in 2002. In fact, Influential Americans are nearly twice as likely to be concerned about foreign affairs as the general population.

Rising Healthcare Costs Major Concern for General Public

Among the general public, the rising cost of healthcare is the number one issue, with 43% saying they are "personally concerned" about this issue. Interestingly, the same percentage of The Influential Americans® also worries about increasing healthcare costs, but the issue ranks second behind foreign affairs.

Concerns about healthcare costs have been gradually increasing for the general public over the last five years. For example, 39% of Americans were concerned in 2004, up from 36% in 2003, and 31% in 2002.

Apprehension about healthcare costs has been generally rising for The Influential Americans® as well, peaking at 49% in 2004, up from 39% in 2003, and 38% in 2002.

Terrorism Still Top of Mind for Both Groups

Although the numbers have dropped from a high of 61% for the general public and 45% for The Influential Americans® in 2003, terrorism still ranks as the third most pressing concern for both groups. Today, 37% of The Influential Americans® are concerned about terrorism versus 41% of the general public. Since the aftermath of September 11, 2001, both groups have ranked terrorism among the top five issues facing the country.

The Influential Americans® and the General Population Both Worry About Breakdown of Families

Concerns about the breakdown of the family are also increasing among both Influential Americans and the general public, rising from 30% in 2004 to 36% in 2005 for The Influential Americans®, and 25% in 2004 to 29% in 2005 for the general public.


The Influential Americans
General Population
Our Foreign Relations
Rising Cost of Healthcare
Breakdown of Family
Way Courts are Run
Quality of Public School Education
Getting into Another War
Recession/Rising Unemployment
Way Young People Act
Wrongdoing by Elected Govt. Officials

Note: Bolded numbers represent the top concerns for each group.

Site Map    |    Privacy Policy    

Copyright ©2006 GfK NOP  |   About GfK NOP  |   Products/Services  |   News/Articles  |   Careers  |   Contact Us  |   Privacy